February 20, 2008

2008 OSCAR PREDICTIONS

I'm suffering from a bit of hyperactive imagination right now, so to calm myself down I think I'm gonna go ahead and reveal my Oscar picks. There's a method to my madness, so when it tickles my nerdy fancy I'll say why I think a certain someone's gonna win. Enjoy!

BEST PICTURE: There Will Be Blood

BEST DIRECTOR: Paul Thomas Anderson, There Will Be Blood

BEST ACTOR: Daniel Day Lewis, There Will Be Blood

(PT Anderson has never won an Academy Award and this movie is a freaking masterpiece in my opinion. No Country for Old Men is getting a lot of praise, I just think it's one of those years where one movie really hits the spot.)

BEST SUPPORTING ACTOR: Javier Bardem, No Country for Old Men

BEST ACTRESS: Ellen Page, Juno

BEST SUPPORTING ACTRESS: Ruby Dee, American Gangster

(I think Ellen Page is gonna pull out an upset here (although Laura Linney deserves mad props)and I'm fine with that as I will be marrying Ms. Page in the near future. None of you a-holes will be invited, by the way. Also, I think as awesome as Hoffman was in Charlie Wilson's War, Bardem will get the nod since Hoffman's already won an Oscar.)
(Another note: I will also be marrying Ruby Dee.)

BEST CINEMATOGRAPHY: Roger Deakins, The Assassination of Jesse James by the Coward Robert Ford

(Deakins has worked on most of the Coen Bros. movies, and he's nominated for his work on No Country for Old Men this year as well. I think he'll win for Assassination...just to spread the wealth.)

BEST ADAPTED SCREENPLAY: Atonement, Christopher Hampton

BEST ORIGINAL SCREENPLAY: Tamara Jenkins, The Savages

All that being said...I'm probably wrong. About everything.

No comments: