August 15, 2008

potatoes and ethnic cleansing

I saw a terrific movie Wednesday. It was about the potato genocide of 1914. I forget the name of it, but it was terrific. It's a documentary. Sorta like a History Channel doc, it's part interviews with persons and potato products who were alive during the genocide and part dramatic recreations. The filmmaking style - oh, how do I put this? - is sorta mashed up.

I hear laughter. Why is that? There's nothing funny about potatoes being summarily executed and tossed into shallow graves....I tell ya, those hash-and-burn tactics of the perpetrators of this heinous crime (the Swedes, of course! Fucking fascists) are quite...nevermind. A side note: someone I know asked me not to mention her by name (so I won't) but she laughed out loud during one scene that saw a herd of taters being gunned down as they fled across an open field. That girl has no class, I say! No class!

(Yes. They come in herds.)

I'm hoping it wins the coveted potato and ethnic cleansing category at Cannes. Every year that category churns out winners, but you butter believe this one will have everyone in the house frying their eyes out. And you know, even though the movie has it's sad moments, it really is sweet in spots. No seriously. Don't be a tater -- go see this movie!

After this blog I have but two questions.

One, who wants to fill a Mr. Potato Head with fake blood and then shoot it? And two, where is my fucking Pulitzer Prize for Literature?

------

From last night's happy hour...

Waiting for food.



I'm fucking adorable sometimes.



I was trying for sexy and failed miserably.



Drinking girly drinks for cheap laughs is amusing to me.

No comments: