May 25, 2010

STAGECOACH!!

John Ford's Stagecoach came out on Blu-ray last week.

Will you buy it for me? Pretty please?

Well look! Here's the thing: it'll definitely inspire me to put the finishing touched on The Deposed Kings of Red Rock, so when I make my billions - BILLIONS! - I'll buy you the Ultimate Wash for your car. That's the one with the wash, wax, undercarriage bath, the bug-buster, Rain-X application, the jim-jam, a wheel cleaner, the finny-fanny, the wrinkle inspector, a whootsy-tootsy and - to top it all off! - a signed Joe Orsulak rookie card. The catch is it was to be at the Solomon's Car Wash because that's where I got the gift card.

I'm kidding, of course. You buy me this, and I'll be thankless. Totally thankless. I might even spit on you. That's how the world works, darlin'. Get used to it.

(Actin like a heartless jackass...I can't quite pull that off, can I?)

From this point forward, anytime you watch a movie that shares the horrendous editing characteristics which include thirty billion quick cuts, pointless slo-mo and close-up shots and way too much CGI - all of which have you thinking, what the hell just happened? - watch this clip from Ford's Stagecoach

And then watch this. Scroll to about 1:30 in to see a fabulous example of horrible filmmaking. Please don't watch the whole clip...unless you're unhappy with yourself and wish to wallow...crap.


I don't think being able to comprehend every on-screen image is antiquated in any way. Am I wrong? Am I an old geezer or somethin'? Good filmmaking involves putting images on the screen...that people can see! Why put an image on screen if the viewer can't make sense of it? I don't want to make this about hate, so I'll just say this: I aspire to create sequences like Ford, Peckinpah and Sturges. Those guys knew how to direct.

One last note. I know this is uber-nerdy, but I really do enjoy the art design of the Criterion Collection's releases. They've got some talented folks over there that really know how to capture the essence of any particular film.


No comments: