March 17, 2008

The Little Mermaid 2: Ariel's Revenge

I've worked on and off on a romantic comedy script since 2003. It's finished, technically -- copyrighted and all -- but last year I decided it wasn't up to snuff. For those who read it back in the day, the backbone is pretty much the same: two kids named Wes and Jessica are in love but neither is willing to admit it until the end when Wes gets off his ass and says something. It ends happily with a punch to the balls and a kiss.

I changed a lot.

For starters, it was called Get The Girl for a long time. I thought Get The Girl had too much of a male machismo sound to it so I think I'm gonna call it Kiss The Girl as an indirect (kinda) reference to The Little Mermaid. To explain: there is a female character who -- unlike the rest of the cast -- is still bright-eyed as far as her outlook on love goes, and in the third act she makes allusions to The Little Mermaid to prove her point that true love still exists. If you're scoffing at the idea of me referencing The Little Mermaid, that's the point; Disney movies have the fairy tale endings that real life doesn't always supply, but what's the point in living if you're not wishing for a happy ending, right? Anyway, the cynical young adults come to their senses and -- yay! a happy ending! I have a killer idea for a closing shot, too. It involves light snowfall, a kiss and Santa throwing down with some cops.

So, some major changes...

I moved the time setting from college to a few years later, made Jessica balls out funny, made Wes less of a tool, and made Wes' best friends considerably more rambunctious (and incredibly hostile). I added a love interest for Jessica (not Wes) and made Wes' love interest (not Jessica) more likable. I added a female character to act as a foil for the sausage party that was all over the last draft. I stole a plot line from Full House. I added a running gag about new Disney versus old Disney and re-inserted the comic book store scene that everyone thought was funny except me. I added partial male nudity (because you gotta give something to the ladies if you want them to go, right?) and excised about 150 curse words (including two "cunts," thus making it a true family affair, right?) I added the physical beatdown of a 2-year-old man by a ten-year-old girl. Finally, I wrote a brand new kick ass ending. And I wrote it drunk.

I'm planning on finishing this revision up in time to enter it in the Scriptapalooza competition but that may prove to be impossible with school and all. Regardless, I'll post it here when I'm done.

Happy St. Patrick's Day, ya Irish pricks!!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

i hope you stole the plot from full house where uncle jesse gets locked in the closet with kimmy gibbler and he discovers the napkins that say "smush club" instead of "smash club" and then enters the club on a spinning disco ball. regardless, looking forward to the revised script..even if it doesnt involve kimmy gibbler. i think i just like typing "gibbler".

Lani said...

How exciting is that?

mrehohl said...

I hope this movie film script has some mention of the pink sock in it or at least the mr hands.